Sunday, June 6, 2010

I'm nervous.
My X inlaws are coming.
Oh, and my X.
And my gramma.
They are coming for my daughters graduation from high school.
I can't believe she is graduating. The time just doesn't seem like its possible that she is already that age.
Anyway,
her dad and his mom, brother, brothers girlfriend, and my gramma are coming.
Nobody is staying with us. Which is good, because we really don't have the room.
I mean we do... But it would require shuffling around. I'm sure they all much prefer to have a hotel room anyway. In fact, my gramma, xMIL, xspouse are sharing a suite.
Thank God we they all get along!

We they really do!
Do you get along with your X?
Now if we did not have kids, I would have no care either way about remaining friendly. It would be on a individual base.
But when you have kids, you want your kids to grow up in the best enviroment possible. And if that marriage does not have that kind of enviroment, a div0rce is often the healthiest choice.
Thats how it was with my X.
We married young and quickly. I was barely 18, he 21. We got pregnant almost immediately. We pretty much knew at that time that we could be great friends, but we were just not compatible as husband and wife. Something we would of discovered had we of taken our time.
I don't regret that at all. I never would of gotten pregnant with our daughter if we would not of married.
When we decided that we were better off apart, we approached it with a realistic idea of how to best raise a child despite not living together.
Rule 1. NEVER EVER EVER talk bad about your X. At least where the child can hear, or to someone that can/will repeat it to your child. Your child is Half You, and Half the X. Everything you say about the X, the child will see it as a reflection on themself.
Rule 2. Realize how you conduct yourself around the X. Be friendly, if even business like. Treat the x respectifully. You don't have to act like best buddies. But by making the drop offs with as little to no stress as possible, the child doesn't feel in the middle of a battle.
If both parents followed these two very basic rules, a divorce would be a new beginning for all involved rather than an emotional baggage to be carried for years.

Alrighty then,
off my soap box!
So, yes I'm a bit nervous. So is hubby. We've had them over in the past, years ago when we lived near them. But there was usually lots of other family around.
I'm sure it will be fine. My xmil is one of the sweetest people you'd ever know. I truly adore her.
My bil is a nice guy, although I do have to admit that I never got to know him. He is my age, but we never had much in common, and never hung out other than family functions.
My x is an all american nice guy. He has had some health issues to overcome the last few years, but he seems to be well.

It will be a fun weekend. I'm sure of it.
Right?!

No comments:

Post a Comment